The All Channing Book Group meets every other month to discuss a chosen book. We have two separate discussions of the same book to give readers an option for their schedule. Generally, we will meet on the second Thursday and sometimes the second Saturday on Zoom.
Attendees do not have to sign up in advance. We ask that you read the book, or at least make a good faith effort to do so. Please bring a comment, observation or question for the group to help the group have a discussion of the book.
Upcoming Books and Articles
December 2020 (Article):
- Date of Discussion: Thurs. December 10th at 10 a.m on Zoom.. Email the webmaster if you want to be included.
January 2021 (Book):
Resilience: Connecting with Nature in a Time of Crisis by Melanie Choukas-Bradley
Nature is one of the best medicines for difficult times. An intimate awareness of the natural world, even within the city, can calm anxieties and help create healthy perspectives. This book will inspire and guide you as you deal with the current crisis, or any personal or worldly distress.
- Date of Discussion: Thurs. January 14th at 10 a.m on Zoom.. Email the webmaster if you want to be included.
February 2021 (Book):
White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo
- Dates of Discussion: Thurs. February 10th at 10 a.m and Sat. February 13th on Zoom.. Email the webmaster if you want to be included.
Books We’ve Read
- November 2020: Racism as Zoological Witchcraft: A Guide to Getting Out by Aph Ko
- October 2020: Being Heumann: An Unrepentant Memoir of a Disability Rights Activist by Judith Heumann and Kristen Joiner
- August 2020: The End of October by Lawrence Wright
- June 2020: If We Can Keep It: How the Republic Collapsed and How It Might be Saved by Michael Tomasky
- March 2020 : The Art of Living: Peace and Freedom in the Here and Now by Thich Nhat Hanh
- January 2020: Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris
- November 2019: Endurance: My Year in Space, A Lifetime of Discovery by Scott Kelly
Possible Books for the Future
- Animal Farm or 1984 by George Orwell
- God Revised: How Religion Must Evolve in a Scientific Age by Galen Guengerich
- Nature and the Human Soul: Cultivating Wholeness and Community in a Fragmented World by Bill Plotkin
- Love Your Enemies: How Decent People Can Save America from the Culture of Contempt by Arthur C. Brooks
- Doughnut Economics: 7 Ways to Think Like a 21st Century Economist by Kate Raworth
- The Upswing: How America Came Together a Century Ago and How We Can Do It Again by Robert Putnam
- Leadership: In Turbulent Times by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man by Emmanuel Acho
- Begin Again: James Baldwin’s America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own by Eddie Glaude