The All Channing Book Group meets every other month to discuss a chosen book. We have two separate discussions of the same book to give readers an option for their schedule. Generally, we will meet on the second Thursday and sometimes the second Saturday on Zoom.
Attendees do not have to sign up in advance. We ask that you read the book, or at least make a good faith effort to do so. Please bring a comment, observation or question for the group to help the group have a discussion of the book.
Upcoming Books and Articles
March 2021 (poem): The Hill We Climb by Amanda Gorman
- Dates of Discussion: Thurs. March 11th at 10 a.m on Zoom.. Email the webmaster if you want to be included.
April 2021 (Book): 1984 by George Orwell
- Dates of Discussion: Thurs. April 8th at 10 a.m on Zoom.. Email the webmaster if you want to be included.
Books We’ve Read
- February 2021: Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson
- January 2021: Resilience: Connecting with Nature in a Time of Crisis by Melanie Choukas-Bradley
- December 2020 (article): Joining the dots: Animal exploitation, human oppression and environmental destruction by Laila Kassam
- November 2020: Racism as Zoological Witchcraft: A Guide to Getting Out by Aph Ko
- October 2020: Being Heumann: An Unrepentant Memoir of a Disability Rights Activist by Judith Heumann and Kristen Joiner
- August 2020: The End of October by Lawrence Wright
- June 2020: If We Can Keep It: How the Republic Collapsed and How It Might be Saved by Michael Tomasky
- March 2020 : The Art of Living: Peace and Freedom in the Here and Now by Thich Nhat Hanh
- January 2020: Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris
- November 2019: Endurance: My Year in Space, A Lifetime of Discovery by Scott Kelly
Possible Books for the Future
- Animal Farm or 1984 by George Orwell
- God Revised: How Religion Must Evolve in a Scientific Age by Galen Guengerich
- Nature and the Human Soul: Cultivating Wholeness and Community in a Fragmented World by Bill Plotkin
- Love Your Enemies: How Decent People Can Save America from the Culture of Contempt by Arthur C. Brooks
- Doughnut Economics: 7 Ways to Think Like a 21st Century Economist by Kate Raworth
- The Upswing: How America Came Together a Century Ago and How We Can Do It Again by Robert Putnam
- Leadership: In Turbulent Times by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man by Emmanuel Acho
- Begin Again: James Baldwin’s America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own by Eddie Glaude