Worship Service is on Sunday 10 – 11 am
. . . we gather here, in this sacred
space, to worship in love,
and it is good.
Please join us for fellowship and worship. Our service begins at 10:00 A.M. and usually is 1-hour long. A typical worship service includes the following:
- Music and a call to worship.
- Lighting of the chalice – symbol of Unitarian Universalism with spoken words of reflection by Interim Minister Pastor Madelyn Campbell or a worship associate.
- A Story for All Ages, setting a theme understood at different levels by children and adults.
- Sunday school children and teachers leave for their classes.
- A spoken prayer followed by 5 minutes of silent meditation, during which the congregation is invited to light a candle to honor an event in their lives or to reflect on something that is troubling.
- Pastor Madelyn Campbell’s, a worship associate’s, or a guest speaker’s sermon, touching on universal themes of life and truth and their meaning in today’s world. See Recent Sermons.
- Stories and scripture from a variety of world religions and traditional hymns, intertwined throughout the service and tying to the sermon’s theme.
We close our services with music, a parting blessing and the extinguishing of the chalice flame.
After Worship: We have informal time for chatting with one another, and for enjoying coffee and snacks. Occasionally we gather for “Sundays After”– conversations about the service theme or other matters that are important in the life of the congregation.
Welcome to a community that embraces people of all ages, gender identities and religious backgrounds. We are real people: broken and mended, imperfect and growing, questioning and seeking, striving for meaning and purpose. This is a very special spiritual home, where we offer our children (and adults) the opportunities to explore the wisdom of the world’s religions, and remind ourselves how to care for one another. We want to be a place that makes a difference – for our children, for our individual religious paths, and in our community and the world.
Channing Memorial Church
3220 Corporate Court, Suite C
Ellicott City, MD 21042
Everyone is welcome at Channing Memorial Church.